Atopic dermatitis is the most widespread kind of eczema. It may appear in people of different ages, however it is most frequent in children. Most often atopic dermatitis is allergic in nature.
This disease delivers great discomfort because of its following symptoms:
1. Skin dryness: skin affected with atopic dermatitis becomes very dry and slough..
2. Itch: very often, atopic dermatitis causes a strong itch, leading to deep scratches and wounds.
3. Red spots: these appear on the skin and may lead to eczema.
4. Edema: with atopic dermatitis, slight skin edema may occur, making the skin hypersensitive.
5. Yellow skin exfoliation: in some cases, exfoliated skin may appear on the skin surface, causing discomfort.
6. High episodes: atopic dermatitis may come in episodes, during which the symptoms may be more expressed.
There are various prophylactic methods to treat atopic dermatitis. These methods can help decrease symptomatic emergence of the disease. One of these methods is the long-term use of skin moisturizers, including special creams and lotions. One must also avoid contact with numerous allergens, such as dust, domestic animals, strong smells and chemicals. Very often, a patient may require a strict diet with no relevant allergens at all. The most common food allergens are as follows: citrus fruits, chocolate, eggs, fish, and milk.
Atopic dermatitis is treatable with various creams, balms, hormonal drugs, or medicinal drugs developed to decrease inflammation and itching. Major attention is paid to cleaning the skin after application of creams and balms, thus ensuring better effect. In case of complications, such as high degree of skin damage, other medical procedures may be required, such as laser removal of affected skinareas.As an auxiliary treatment can be prescribed physio-procedures – ultraviolet irradiation with a quartz lamp.
Atopic dermatitis:is a chronic skin disease requiring constant attention and care. However, correct prophylactic measures and treatment combined can help the majority of patients handle the problem.